Summer 2014 Program Guide
What management, leadership, and strategy programs do we have in store for you this winter? Strengthen your organization and become the leader you want to be.
CA Nonprofit Leaders: Mark Your Calendars for October 24
What can we accomplish when we come together for a stronger nonprofit sector? Come find out on October 24 at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square. The Nonprofits' Insurance Alliance of California (NIAC), CalNonprofits, and CompassPoint are joining forces for StrongerTogether, a new conference on nonprofit leadership, strategy, advocacy, and risk management. Register here. Keep an eye out for more program information in the coming weeks.
Blog: Are You Addicted to Urgency?
In our blog this week, Michelle Gislason and Marissa Tirona explore the difference between focusing on what's urgent rather than what's important in our work and lives. It's a common response in our sector -- they call it an "addiction" -- and it's a trade-off that often leads us away from being strategic and innovative, which is often what we really need to be in order to move our organizations and movements ahead. Michelle and Marissa offer some great ideas and resources to help you break this cycle. Read the blog.
Strengthening the Leadership Pipeline in New Orleans
Nine years post-Hurricane Katrina, New Orleans nonprofits remain challenged to respond to the economic and community effects of the disaster. (Read the Greater New Orleans Community Data Center's assessment of needs and bright spots in the economic report "New Orleans Index at Eight.") Through a partnership with the Greater New Orleans Foundation, CompassPoint is launching a program for Emerging Leaders modeled after our Next Generation Leaders of Color program. Graduates from the New Orleans program will join a growing alumni group of over 90 leaders, all of whom are committed to work that addresses issues of social equity. Read more on the foundation's website.
Budgeting Resources Round-Up
These CompassPoint resources cover the arc of what you need to know about organizational finance from big picture leadership to day-to-day budgeting and tracking. Use this for yourself and share it with colleagues!
- Article: "An Executive Director’s Guide to Financial Leadership” by Jeanne Bell and Kate Barr
- Book: Financial Leadership for Nonprofit Executives by Jeanne Bell and Elizabeth Schaffer
- Book: Nonprofit Sustainablity: Making Strategic Decision for Financial Viability by Jeanne Bell, Jan Masaoka and Steve Zimmerman
- Article: “Beyond Financial Oversight: Expanding the Board’s Role in the Pursuit of Sustainability,” by Jeanne Bell
- Templates: A budget template, a budget calendar template, a guide and template for fiscal policies and procedures, and an internal controls checklist can be found here.
- Workshops: We have a full slate of finance and budgeting workshops in the coming months, starting with Budgeting for Programs, Grants, and the Organization (September 29), Clinic: Developing Your Organizational Budgeting Process(October 2), Clinic: Building Your Organizational Budget in Excel (November 20), and Introduction to Nonprofit Finance (October 17). See the full list and register.
- Ongoing Support: Join the Finance Professionals Network and participate in bimonthly presentations, webinars, and an active member listserv for peer support and information exchange.
Your Journey is Unique – Our Annual Report
Our just-released annual report mixes video, audio, and interviews to bring to life our work supporting the unique leadership journeys of three clients – the Alliance for Community Transformations, Next Generation Leaders of Color program participant Monica Ann Arrambide, and Donaldina Cameron House. Take a few minutes to explore these colleagues' journeys – we think the themes will resonate with you in many ways. View our new annual report here.
And will you honor your leadership journey and support the leadership journeys of other nonprofit leaders? Please consider a contribution to CompassPoint and support our work with the over 3,000 nonprofit leaders we serve each year. Donate now.